Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

[4.0.3.a] Hot Fixes Will Reduce Feral Tank DPS/Threat


(A scene from National Lampoon's Animal House that aptly describes how it felt when I saw the 4.0.3a Hotfixes.)

Thank You Sir, May I Have Another?

The electrons had barely settled from drafting my post on the nerfs to Druid Tanks for yesterday.  I was doggedly trying to put on my happy face...then it was slapped off by the 4.0.3a hotfixes:
The damage done by the following abilities has been reduced by approximately 17%: Mangle (Bear), Maul, Lacerate, Pulverize, Swipe (Bear), Thrash.
So much nerfing in one tiny sentence.  It would have been simpler to say that all of our Threat generation abilities other than Feral Faerie Fire have been reduced 17%.  At least they used a dedicated bullet point for each spell that was reduced for Warlocks.

Again, going to remain cautiously optimistic.  I am more worried about my fellow Druid Tanks that might have lower gear item levels than me.  I am probably overgeared enough that I wouldn't notice a problem until after level 81, when I will have Thrash and *hopefully* have all of the tools that Blizzard is worried about making me overly effective.

Of course, less damage means less Threat, so I predict even more heartburn from DPS attacking too soon or using AoEs too aggressively.  It also means that everything we attack solo will take that much longer to kill...so tedious grinds are the clear winners here.

I will keep hoping that it all works out in the end and that the nerfs do not create a significant shortfall in our level 80-84 performance.

No comments: